DC Comics Honors #Juneteeth Amplifying Black Superhero Stories
DC Comics have rounded up their slew of black heroes just in time for Juneteenth. DC Comics have been trying to add more stories about black superheroes over the last few years. They’ve even gone and created new black characters to take up the mantle of some of their most iconic characters including the Dark Knight, Batman. Check out their expansive range of stories and characters below:
- Far Sector (all issues available now) – Available in comic book stores and on DC UNIVERSE INFINITE, Hugo and Nebula award-winning writer N.K. Jemisin and artist Jamal Campbell (Justice League, NAOMI) bring in the newest addition to the Green Lantern Corps, Sojourner “Jo” Mullein, as finds herself cut off from the corps at the center of a murder mystery in the farthest sectors of space.
- Future State: The Next Batman Collected Edition (available now) – This softcover collection includes several titles from DC’s groundbreaking Future State publishing event, including issues #1 – 4 of the Future State: The Next Batman miniseries, written by Academy Award-winning screenwriter John Ridley. The collection also includes issues #1 – 3 of Future State: Dark Detective and issues #1 – 2 of Future State Nightwing.
- Green Lantern (issue #3 available now): Written by Geoffrey Thorne, Green Lantern John Stewart takes charge to lead a new corps of Green Lanterns, including Jo Mullein (Far Sector) and Teen Lantern Keli Quintela (Wonder Comics Young Justice).
- Milestone Returns #0 Infinite Edition (available now) – With the return of Milestone launching this week, check out the oversized one-shot which sets the stage for the launches of Static Season One, Icon and Rocket Season One, and Hardware Season One this summer.
- REPRESENT! #1 (available now) – Collecting chapters 1 – 7 of the digital anthology series, REPRESENT! is a celebration of powerful voices, presenting relevant and topical visions of social change and personal histories, based on true-to-life and semi-fictionalized accounts of real experiences.
- Mister Miracle: The Source of Freedom (issue #1 available now, issue #2 in stores June 22) – A six-issue limited series written by Brandon Easton puts Shilo Norman in the cape and mask of the World’s Greatest Escape Artist in an examination of freedom, blackness, and anonymity.
- The Next Batman: Second Son (all issues available now) – this four-issue miniseries by John Ridley explores the background of Tim (Jace) Fox, the mystery about his estrangement from his family and his training to eventually become the Batman of Future State.
- Nubia: Real One (available now) – This young adult original graphic novel by celebrated writer L.L. McKinney and artist Robyn Smith reimagines one of DC’s heroes (and Wonder Woman’s twin sister for new readers. Nubia: Real One examines the challenges of still being perceived as a threat by society, even as you risk everything to become the hero that you’re told you can’t be.
- Static Season One #1 (available now) – As part of the return of Milestone and the Dakotaverse to DC, writer Vita Ayala and artists CHRISCROSS and Nikolas Draper-Ivey reimagine one of Milestone’s founding heroes for the 21st century. When the Dakota Police use an experimental tear gas on protesters during a Black Lives Matter march, it imbues some of them with abilities, including teenager Virgil Hawkins, who can now control and manipulate electricity.